Attorney licensed by Idaho State Bar (Bar No. 10024)
Authorized to practice immigration law in all 50 states
University of California, Davis, School of Law
Juris Doctor August 2013 – May 2016
Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals workshop, Volunteer
Naturalization Day workshop, Volunteer
Journal of International Law and Policy, General Editor
National Lawyers Guild, King Hall Chapter, Vice President
University of Idaho
Bachelor of Arts in Int’l Studies & Spanish, Minor in Music August 2009 – May 2013
Semester abroad at the Universidad del País Vasco in Bilbao, Spain (Fall 2011)
Phi Beta Kappa Honors Society Member
International High School
International Baccalaureate Diploma September 2005 – June 2009\
300 hours of community service completed in Spanish
Spanish Immersion graduate
UC Davis Presidential Law Fellow August 2016 – August 2017
Represented pro-bono clients in immigration cases including Motions to Reopen, defensive and affirmative asylum, criminal immigration (categorical and modified categorical), Special Immigrant Juvenile Status, naturalization, and civil litigation including claims under the Federal Tort Claims Act and the Administrative Procedures Act.
Conducted outreach activities including travel to Dilley, Texas to prep women and children for credible fear interviews and travel to rural Idaho to do presentations on DACA and administrative changes in English and in Spanish.
Prepared outreach materials including manual on the unlicensed practice of law and FAQ sheet on administrative changes following the presidential election.
Professor Leticia Saucedo
Research Assistant January 2016 – May 2016
Conducted research on nexus of employment law and immigration law pertaining to independent contractors.
Assisted in putting together law review article on creating new categories of employees who do not fall into the employee or independent contractor models of employment law.
Professor Karima Bennoune, UN Special Rapporteur on Cultural Rights
Research Assistant May 2015 – May 2016
Conducted research and drafted memoranda on violence against women motivated by religious extremism
Assisted with the drafting and editing of a 400-page report on violence against women as motivated by religious extremism around the world that was presented to Rashida Manjoo, Special Rapporteur on Violence Against Women.
United Nations Human Rights Practicum
Clinical Assistant to Professor Karima Bennoune January 2016 – May 2016
Composed region-specific memoranda on cultural rights, violence against women and other human rights issues.
Prepared and delivered relevant news briefings.
Dean Kevin Johnson, UC Davis, School of Law
Conducted legal research in support of content for immigration textbook, Understanding Immigration Law.
Researched and edited article, Immigration in the Supreme Court, 2009-2013: A New Era of Immigration Law Unexceptionalism, available at http://digitalcommons.law.ou.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1014&context=olr.
International Tribunal of Conscience
Research and Litigation Assistant September 2015
Prepared memoranda for the jurors to explain different allegations and events that had taken place and were at issue in proceedings. Specifically worked on issues surrounding disappearance of 43 students in Ayotzinapa.
Attended proceedings in New York City and assisted with memoranda and explanations when necessary.
American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) of Idaho
Litigation Intern May 2015 – July 2015
Collected evidence and performed research in support of class action lawsuit against the State of Idaho for failure to provide constitutionally sufficient legal counsel to indigent criminal defendants.
Researched and wrote a policy paper on the legality of prolonged detention of criminal suspects for possible immigration violations; negotiated with local law enforcement officials to obtain swifter release of such detainees.
Immigration Law Clinic, UC Davis, School of Law
Law Clerk August 2014 – May 2015
Won 8 USC §212(c) case and subsequent release for client who had been detained in an ICE facility for over two years.
Composed brief addressing eligibility for a §212(c) case following remand from Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Wrote motion to terminate proceedings on equal protection grounds for client with citizenship claim.
Centro Latino Americano
Translator and Classroom Assistant September 2007 – May 2009
Interpreted between Spanish and English for volunteer tax specialists during client interviews.
Taught English to the children of recent immigrants, between ages 8-13.
- Post-Election Questions and Answers for Immigrant Families, Kate Evans and Courtney LaFranchi (author). Available at https://pennstatelaw.psu.edu/sites/default/files/Post-Election%20FAQs%20Update--1.6.17.pdf.
- Unauthorized Practice of Immigration Law: A State-By-State Overview of Legal Mechanisms, CLINIC Legal (editor and contributor). Available at https://cliniclegal.org/upil.
American Immigration Lawyers Association, Idaho Chapter, Member
National Lawyers Guild, Member
American Civil Liberties Union, Member
Awards and Accolades
- Presidential Public Interest Fellowship Recipient (August 2016 - August 2017)
- Public Service Graduate of the University of California, Davis, School of Law (May 2016)
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Public Service Award, nominee (May 2016)
- Dean's Merit Scholarship Recipient at University of California, Davis, School of Law (August 2013 - May 2016)
- Boyd and Grace Martin Award for Interdisciplinary Research (May 2013)
- Presidential Merit-Based Scholarship (August 2009 - May 2013)
- Basque Cultural Scholarship (August 2011 - May 2012)
- International Experience Grant (August 2011 - May 2012)
- Boyd and Grace Martin Memorial Scholarship (August 2011 - May 2012)
- Selected to represent University of Idaho delegation at New York Model United Nations Conference (April 2011)
- Promising Music Student Award (August 2010 - May 2011)
- Robert R. Kirby Music Scholarship (August 2010 - May 2011)
- Music Activities Scholarship (August 2010 - May 2011)
- Gustafson, Irene and Donald Award for Piano Performance (August 2009 - May 2010)
- Dean's List throughout undergraduate career at the University of Idaho